Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Ham House

John Evelyn, diarist, 27 August 1678:

After dinner I walked to Ham, which is inferior to few of the best villas in Italy itselfe.
The house is furnishd like a great Prince's.

Just one in a series of grand houses and palaces alongside the River Thames - the utterly magnificent Ham House is a seventeenth century treasure trove. Here is just a minute sampling...

The Green Closet miniatures and cabinet pictures

Queen Elizabeth I (Nicholas Hilliard)

Looking into 'The Green Closet'

Read more here and here

2 comments:

  1. Merci beaucoup for this...I think I would love to visit Ham House...I'll be popping over to London to see Pina Bausch's dance company in June..so will put "Ham" on my list. A bientot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those miniatures, hair charms and green damask...like a jewel box

    ReplyDelete